The Tycho Brahe calendar
These is a year calendar with notes of special days in the life of Tycho Brahe,
as well as "Tykobrahe days", which
are days in which you by folklore are at risk of bad luck, and should
be extra careful.
The reason why these days have the name Tykobrahe days are because
especially when Tycho Brahe worked for the emperor Rudolph II, he had a reputation as
a prominent astrologer. He did, as was common at the time, calculate a list
of days, which were specially unlucky, when it was best to do nothing important
at all. 
 Source of origin of Tykobrahe days from
Per Sörbom "Tycho Brahe - A Passionate Astronomer", p 63.
See also the end of the Neft page about Tycho Brahe
- 1/1 Tykobrahe day
- 2/1 Tykobrahe day
- 4/1 Tykobrahe day
- 6/1 Tykobrahe day
- 11/1 Tykobrahe day
- 12/1 Tykobrahe day
- 19/1 Tykobrahe day
- 9/2 1601 Tycho with family tries to get listed in the Bohemian list of noble families, but Tycho dies before the wish is processed.
- 11/2 1576 Tykobrahe day, Tycho is reached by the message that he has received the island Hven from the king.
- 17/2 Tykobrahe day
- 18/2 1576 Tykobrahe day, Tycho gets a letter concerning his economy from the court.
- 1/3 Tykobrahe day
- 4/3 Tykobrahe day
- 14/3 Tykobrahe day
- 15/3 1597 Tykobrahe day, Tycho makes his last observation on Hven.
- 20/3 1590 king Jacob of Scotland (just married with Fredrik II's daughter
Anna) visits Hven.
- 9/4 1567 Solar eclipse in Rostok, probably captured Tycho's interest.
- 10/4 Tykobrahe day
- 17/4 Tykobrahe day
- 18/4 Tykobrahe day
- 19/4 1559 Tycho is sent to the university of København to study
(12 years old).
- 22/4 1597 Tycho leaves Hven after 21 years, "Boring weather on a boring day"
- 29/4 Tycho's nameday
- 4/5 1590 visit on Hven by Heinrich Julius of Braunschweig- Wolfenbuttel,
just married to Fredrik II's oldest daughter Elisabeth.
- 7/5 Tykobrahe day
- 9/5 1571 the father of Tycho, Otte Brahe, 54, dies a quiet death.
- 15/5 Tykobrahe day
- 18/5 1577 Tykobrahe day, Tycho is offered the title of headmaster at the university of København, but he declines.
- 23/5 1576 Tycho receives a new royal letter, he is given Hven for lifetime.
- ?/6 1565 the uncle and stepfather Jörgen Brahe dies after a cold bath
to save the life of king Fredrik II.
- 6/6 Tykobrahe day
- 27/6 1586 queen Sophie visits Hven.
- 28/6 1586 bad weather, Sophie decides to stay one more day.
- 29/6 1586 departure of Sophie.
- ?/7 1573 Tycho starts a relationship with Kirsten Jörgensdatter,
a commoner, daughter of the priest in Kågeröd. De get five daughters and tre sons.
- 3/7 1592 King Christian visits Hven, when the plague that hit Hven in May the same year is away.
- 17/7 Tykobrahe day
21/7 Tykobrahe day
- 2/8 Tykobrahe day
- 8/8 1576 the french ambassador Charles Dançay puts the first stone in the
wall of Uranienborg.
- 10/8 Tykobrahe day
- 21/8 1560 Solar eclipse in Portugal. Pierre Gassendi wrote that this
event awoke Tycho's interest in astronomy.
- 23/8 1586 new visit from queen Sophie and her father, duke Ulrik of
Mecklenburg, her mother Elisabeth and the duke's nephew Sigismund.
- 30/8 1591 Christian IV writes and reminds Tycho of his obligations to
maintain the grave chapel in Roskilde.
- 1/9 Tykobrahe day
18 9 Tykobrahe day
- 23/9 1574 Tycho holds his first lecture at the university of København.
"About the mathematical sciences"
- 6/10 Tykobrahe day
- 13/10 1601 Tycho dines at baron Peter Vok Rosenberg in Prague,
a dinner with many drinks and toasts, but to be polite, Tycho does not leave
the table, until he has problems with his bladder and has to go home directly.
- 14/10 1601 Tycho is in bed, very ill.
- 23/10 1601 Tycho awakes from his fever fantasies, in which he has over and over mumbled "Ne frustra vixisse videar" (Don't let me seem to have lived in
- 24/10 1601 Tycho Brahe dies, 54 years and ten months old.
(See "Tycho Brahe's Death")
- 4/11 1601 Tycho is buried as a nobleman in Prague.
- 11/11 1572 Tycho discovers "Stella Nova", a "new" star in the
Eventually he publishes a book about his observations.
- 16/11 Tykobrahe day
- 18/11 Tykobrahe day
- 6/12 Tykobrahe day
- 11/12 Tykobrahe day
- 14/12 1546 between 9 and 10 in the morning, Tyge Brahe is born
(latin form Tycho) at Knutstorps castle in Skåne.
- 18/12 Tykobrahe day
- 24/12 15?? the father Otte Brahe want to expand his estate at Knutstorp,
burns the crops of seven farmers and pursues them into the forest.
- 29/12 1566 Tycho looses the tip of his nose in a duel by rapiers in
Rostok in the evening "in deep darkness". The opponent is Manderup Parsberg
another danish nobleman. They had an argument at Bacmeister.
(See "Tycho Brahe's Nose").