2D1260, Finita elementmetoden, 4 poäng
The goal of this course is to give basic knowledge of the
theory and practice of the finite element method and its
application to the partial differential equations of physics and mechanics.
The purpose is to give a balanced combination of theroetical and practical skills.
The theoretical part is mainly concerned with estimating the discretization error
and how to use error estimates to adaptively refine the mesh (see pictures above).
The practical part deals with computer implementation: element matrices, assembly,
numerical integration, fast solvers, etc.
In this course we will study:
- FEM-formulation for linear and non-linear problems,
- Element types and how they are constructed and implemented,
- Mappings and numerical integration for finite elements,
- Adaptivity, error estimation and automatic mesh generation,
- Efficient solution algorithms,
- Applications to stationary and transient diffusion processes, elasticity, convection-diffusion, etc.
Present course round: period 2 97/98
Course leader: Peter Hansbo
Here you will find an overview of the material covered, schedules, etc.
Formal course description