Back to the course
Lab 1. Sharing and commenting on documents with the Domain Help system
- February 9 - March 1, 1998
- Kerstin Severinson Eklundh, Henrry Rodriguez
- 1. Sharing experiences of collaboration with and without computer support.
- 2. Using and evaluating a Web-based tool for collaborative authoring
- The lab requires Internet access and basic familiarity with the World
- Tools: A Web browser
- The Domain Help System (DHS), developed within a project at CID (Centre for User-Oriented IT Design).
DHS is a prototype system designed to support reviewing and commenting
on Web documents.
The lab consists of the following parts.
- Write a summary (up to one page) of a recent experience of collaboration
(e.g. in a writing task). The collaboration may or may not have mediated
by computers. Describe the task and how it was coordinated in the group,
which tools were used to support the task, and the aspects of the collaboration
that you consider successful or not successful. The text can be written
in English or Swedish.
- Send your summary in an e-mail message to Kerstin S.E. (firstname.lastname@example.org),
Cristian Bogdan (email@example.com) and to Henrry Rodriguez (firstname.lastname@example.org),
who will enter it into the Domain Help System (DHS).
- From February 16, enter DHS regularly, and read and comment on the
texts written by others in the class. The URL is: http://www.nada.kth.se/~henrry/DHSpage.html.
Please select the domain CSCW course. Instructions are given under
the heading "About this prototype", and will also be given during
the class on Feb. 16.
- Your comments could focus on the others class members' experiences
and how they compare with your own. They can also suggest and discuss methods
and tools for collaboration in various tasks. Please note that you can
comment both on the source documents, and on the comments already entered.
- To fulfill the assignment, everyone must enter at least 2 constructive
comments on others' source texts. In addition, you can comment on the design
of the DHS system itself, under the heading "About this prototype".
Way of reporting
Your report for this lab will consist of 1) your summary entered into
DHS, 2) the comments you write on other's experiences and comments, 3) a
filled-out questionnaire which will be distributed later.
The lab is carried out asynchronously, and should be completed before
Back to the course
Responsible for this page: Kerstin Severinson Eklundh <email@example.com>
Last update: February 13, 1998
Technical support: <firstname.lastname@example.org>