Revision history for Thinking in Patterns with Java by Bruce Eckel
Full text, source code and additional information available at www.BruceEckel.com.
Submit errors and corrections at the book's discussion group
To be informed of future releases of this document and other information about object-oriented books, documents, seminars and CDs, subscribe to my free newsletter. Just send any email to: email@example.com
Revision 0.6, August 23, 2001
- Completely re-designed "Chain of Responsibility" example
- Added new State Machine Framework and Vending Machine Example
- Added Decorator "coffee" example
- Added Jikes support to makefiles
- Added "Preface" and "Introduction" material
- Added "Design Principles" in Introduction
Revision 0.5a, December 8, 2000
- Cleaned up the enumeration type in c11:PaperScissorsRock.java
- Made a number of user-suggested corrections
- Modified JPython section to reflect the change to Jython
Revision 0.5, September 30, 2000
- Did a lot of work on the makefile generation tool (written in Python, not yet available), including the addition of new types of comment directives, such as =M, +M, =T and +D. These are described in Chapter 9 where they are used to automatically created the makefiles that have more sophisticated dependencies. Some small rewriting was done in that chapter to accomodate this.
- Added a small amount in the Iterators chapter: the beginnings of a type-safe iterator.
- Added Jeremy Meyer's rats & mazes code to Chapter 13 (Just a quick add; no rewriting)
- Converted most tests to black-box tests
- Other small code modifications to improve design/implementation
Revision 0.4, August 8, 2000
- Added Interpreter chapter, which focuses on the use of JPython as the Interpreter pattern, with a fairly thorough exploration of JPython.
- Added "White-box & Black-box testing" section and examples to the test chapter. Modified RunUnitTests.java so that it supports both black- and white-box testing.
- Added placeholder chapter for Iterator, with brief overview of what I plan to do.
- Created discussion group for book at Topica
- Changed download so that it is combined book & code
- Added page linked off of the head of each chapter that describes how to build the code
- Changed makefiles to use GNU make, which is free at www.gnu.org. See the page linked to the top of each chapter with the title Build the Code for more details.
Revision 0.3, May 2000
- Added Unit Testing chapter
- Modified all code in book to use unit tests
- Modified Python code extraction tool to add unit testing to makefiles, so the unit tests are executed automatically as part of a make
- Modified TrashVisitor to use VisitorDecorator approach
- Redistributed exercises, added one or two new ones (taken from the seminar)